Today, the honor goes to this no yeast beer puff puff. I love this childhood favorite snack of mine that am not going to end here – certainly not! It would not be my last puff puff.
Ghanaians call it Bofrot (togbei), Congolese call it mikate, gbofloto in Ivory Coast; Cameroonians, Liberian call it Kala and Nigerians call it Puff-Puff. How do you call it in your country? Comment below
No Yeast Puff Puff — a tasty variety of the traditional popular African snacks Puff Puff which is made of self-rising flour, sugar, beer, egg and oil. No need to wait long to get a bite of these delicious treats. Great for breakfast and parties too
• 3 cups (375 g) Self-rising flour
• ½ cup (100 g) sugar
• ½ cup (124.69 ml) beer , I used Heineken
• 1 large egg
• 1 ¼ cup (296.25 ml) water
• ½ teaspoons (1 g) nutmeg , optional
• oil for deep frying
1. In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on medium heat until oil is 375 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients, flour, and sugar.
3. Stir in the water, eggs, beer ; mix well until everything has been fully incorporated. The batter should be smooth, thick and spoon able.
4. I use my hands to scoop up the batter; you can do the same or use 2 spoons – one to scoop up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil- in the shape of a ball. Do not overcrowd the pan. Do so in batches
5. Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
6. Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
7. Use a large spoon or something like that to take it out of the oil. I usually place them on napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil.
8. Roll in cinnamon sugar as soon as you remove from the pan or deep in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon sugar , if you want to go the cinnamon sugar route.
9. Best serve warm
Prep Time for Puff Puff
All you need is self-rising flour, sugar, beer, egg and oil. I eat this snack mainly for breakfast but today, I had it for lunch. Now having Puff Puff parties it’s like a crime and everyone will complain there was no snack even if you have other snacks. Well since yeast gone MIA and we still in quarantine lockdown, save this recipe when the craving to eat something quickly. If notice the picture, I roll this puff puff Ben & Jerry ice cream. You can enjoy your puff puff for breakfast with coffee, tea or Just snack.
A substitute recipe for self rising flour
3 cups flour
4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon