Just as a power station requires gas or coal to power its turbines and generate energy, so we need fuel in the form of *food* to power our continued existence. Food can help your body insulate itself and improve your health. Human beings as much as we get carried away with our daily activities we should be conscious of our body and answer the call whenever our system calls for its Fuel. I’m sure by now you already know what am talking about.
*HOW TO PREPARE OHA SOUP*
FOOD: usually comes from animals and plants. It is eaten by living things to provide energy and nutrition. Food contains the nutrition that people and animals need to be healthy, the consumption of food is enjoyable to humans.
IMPORTANCE: Food gives us energy and nutrients, which helps our growth and development, Our body needs a lot of this 5 nutrients (Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat and Oil, Vitamins and Minerals) from the food we eat to properly stay healthy.
*HOW TO PREPARE OHA SOUP*
Oha (Ora) soup is native to the South Eastern Nigeria. It is a very traditional soup similar to the bitter leaf soup but cooked with Ora leaves. Though it is only the vegetable that distinguishes the Oha soup and the Bitterleaf soup, they taste so different that it is hard to believe the difference just one ingredient can make in a recipe.
* Vegetable (Ora leaves)
* Cocoyam for thickening (7small pieces) although it depends on the quantity of soup you make.
* Red Oil
* Assorted beef (Shaki, roundabout, Goat meat and other parts) as desired.
* Assorted Fish (Dry fish and Stock Fish)
* Chili pepper, Salt and Crayfish (To Taste).
* 2 Stock cubes of Maggi.
*1 teaspoon of Ogiri Igbo ( for a traditional taste).
*HOW TO PREPARE*
Before you cook, Grind the crayfish and pepper and set aside. Wash and boil the cocoyam till soft, remove the peels and use a mortar and pestle to pound to a smooth paste. Using your fingers to cut the Ora leaves into tiny pieces, this is to prevent the vegetable from becoming darker in color cause this happens when you cut the leaf with a knife.
1. Boil the shaki, stockfish and dry fish in water till they are well cooked.
2. Wash the beef and add to the pot of Shaki and continue to cook, when the meat is done, add 2 cubes of maggi and cook for 5minutes.
3. Add the pepper, Ogiri Igbo and ground crayfish and cook for 10minutes. Add the cocoyam paste in small lumps and then the palm oil.
4. Cover the pot and leave to cook on high heat till all the cocoyam lumps have dissolved. You can add more water if you feel that the soup is too thick.
5. Add the Ora leaves and leave to cook for about 5minutes.
6. Add salt to taste, stir and the soup is ready?.
Serve with Garri (Eba), Semolina, Fufu, Amala or Pounded Yam.
This is actually making me salivate and am sure preparing a pot of Oha soup by the weekend?, I hope you come join me. But I do hope this helps you better in preparing the famous Igbo Native soup (OHA SOUP)
Do drop your observation, questions, and suggestion in the comment section below. God bless and do stay Nourished. ???to a Good Life ?.